As the weather warms up, termites become more active and damaging. They feed on wood and make it brittle. They can wreak havoc on a home because they don’t sleep and perpetually chew through wood. Termites cost property owners in America billions of dollars in damage annually. The tough part is that homeowner’s insurance doesn’t cover termite damage, leaving you with the hassle and the repair bill.
If your home has ever been infested with termites, you know the trouble and costly maintenance needs that follow. Unfortunately, wood siding can attract termites and welcome them into your home. The good news is that fiber cement siding actually resists termites, saving you from wood’s damage and repair needs.
What is it about fiber cement siding that makes it so unattractive to termites? Its makeup. Let’s take a look at the durable termite resistance of fiber cement siding.
The Termite Resistant Nature of Fiber Cement
Termites have the potential to cause wood rot and structural failure to your home. Once they infiltrate a home, it’s tough (and expensive) to get rid of them and repair the damage they created. It’s best to take precautions to avoid them.
Fiber cement is made of cement, sand, and cellulose, and termites can’t eat through it. Fiber cement is super resistant to insects (including termites) as well as moisture. It resists peeling, and chipping, and is much lower maintenance than wood.
By protecting your home with fiber cement siding, you decrease the possibility of termite infestation. Why not take the necessary precautions to protect your biggest investment from the damages termites cause and the costly repair needs that follow?
The Most Popular Fiber Cement Siding in America
James Hardie fiber cement siding protects over 8,000,000 homes in America. Known for its beauty and durability, this sturdy siding material keeps termites away and more!
- Boost your home’s curb appeal. Get the gorgeous look of Hardie lap siding, board-and-batten, or vertical siding along with the perfect trim to finish your home’s look and boost its resale value.
- Protect your largest investment. Durable Hardie siding will keep your home well covered even in the midst of storms, hail, snow, rain, ice, and high winds.
- Enjoy consistent energy savings. Boost your home’s overall insulation, add to your indoor comfort, and decrease utilities bills with Hardie siding.
- Customize to complement your home’s architecture. Choose from a wide variety of styles, textures, and finishes to get the perfect look for your home exterior.
- Rest at ease with a 30-year, non-prorated warranty. As long as your Hardie siding is installed by a James Hardie Preferred Contractor, your 30-year warranty is well protected.
- Get the low-maintenance home exterior you desire. Avoid the high maintenance wood siding requires. Hardie siding only needs to be cleaned twice a year, and it’s as easy as using a garden hose and a medium bristle nylon brush to remove any dirt or grime.
- Protect your home from woodpecker damage. Due to its extremely sturdy makeup, Hardie siding resists woodpecker damage.
- Choose from an abundance of fade-resistant color combinations. Hardie siding comes in pre-primed boards or with factory baked-on color known as ColorPlus technology. With UV resistance and uniform color, ColorPlus technology is a favorite among homeowners. Designer-picked color combinations take the guesswork out of home exterior color selections. You’re sure to get the optimal color for your home from ColorPlus options from either the Dream Collection™ or Statement Collection™.
- Get reliable protection from the elements. Engineered for climate, Hardie siding delivers the HardieZone® system which provides the perfect siding product for your region of the country. Built to withstand California weather, the HZ10 product stands up to salty sea air, and hurricane-force winds.
- Safeguard your family with this noncombustible siding. Wood siding fuels fires, and vinyl siding warps in a fire, but due to its makeup, Hardie siding won’t contribute to a fire.
- Enjoy the longevity of durable Hardie siding. Known to last up to 50 years, Hardie siding gives you the reliable protection your home needs. Imagine the time and money you will save because you won’t need siding installed again for decades!
- Love coming home again. With gorgeous Hardie siding on your home exterior, you’re sure to enjoy the outstanding beauty of your home again.
Learn more about James Hardie Siding in our “Guide to James Hardie Siding.”
How to Termite Proof Your Home
Termite infestation typically goes unnoticed because people don’t realize the damage they see is caused by termites. As a result, by the time termite infestation is identified, the problem is usually vast. To inspect your property for termites, look for the following:
- Termite tunnels cut into the wood in your home
- Signs of wood damage
- Signs of moisture damage
- Drainage problems
Prevent termites in your home by implementing simple precautions
- Replace wood siding with fiber cement siding.
- Prevent the wood in your home from coming into prolonged contact with moisture.
- Keep air flowing through your eaves, soffits, attic, and crawl spaces in order to reduce moisture levels.
- Keep gutters and downspouts in good working order to keep water away from your home’s foundation.
- Get a professional pest management inspection.
- Remove wood piles and other debris from under or around your home.
- Don’t put plants or flower pots immediately next to your home.
- Get regular plumbing and HVAC maintenance inspections.
Don’t wait until your home’s structural integrity has been compromised by termites. Start protecting your home now with durable, pest resistant Hardie siding.
Get Expert Termite Resistant Siding Installation
The siding material you choose is equally as important as who you hire to install it. Don’t settle for an inferior siding contractor. Get premium siding installation with the Approved Contractor team of professionals.
We are a James Hardie Elite Preferred Contractor, so we install Hardie siding according to the manufacturer’s standards, protecting your 30-year warranty. Get optimal Hardie siding performance with superior installation.
Learn more about James Hardie Siding.